Continental Breakfast Roundtable Discussions
THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 5
8:30 - 9:30 AM
Join your colleagues and fellow delegates over breakfast for a focused, informal discussion moderated by a member of our speaking faculty. A small group format allows participants to meet potential collaborators, share examples from their own work and discuss ideas with peers.
TABLE 1: Silicon Anodes and Cells
Benjamin Park, PhD, Founder & CTO, Enevate Corporation
- What is the maturity level of Si today?
- What different approaches are there with Si?
- What are the challenges and how can the industry work together to solve them?
- How does Si compare with other next-gen technologies such as solid-state/lithium metal?
TABLE 2: Li-Ion NMC Fast Charging New Cells for E-Mobility
Shmuel De-Leon, CEO, Shmuel De-Leon Energy, Ltd.
- The needs for fast charging for E-Mobility
- Current solution in the market
- New fast charging Li-ion NMC cells under development
TABLE 3: Electrolyte Developments: New Components and Approaches
Sam Jaffe, Managing Director, Cairn Energy Research Advisors
- Recent electrolyte advances and their impact on the battery
- Gauging cost/benefits to adding new components to electrolyte mixtures
- Super-concentrated salt electrolytes: recent research and implications
- Innovative solvent and additive approaches
- Emerging salt candidates for improved performance
TABLE 4: Battery Pack System Cost and Safety – Will Future xEV Battery Packs Increase in Complexity or Simplify and How Will Cost and Safety Be Impacted?
Kevin Konecky, Battery Systems Consultant, Total Battery Consulting, Inc.
- How will pack designs change to mitigate the increased failure modes of nickel-rich chemistries?
- What materials might be added to increase safety?
- Will BMS designs increase or decrease in complexity?
- What system-level (non-cell) cost reductions are possible for 2025?
TABLE 5: Cell Screening Tests
Eric Darcy, PhD, Battery Technical Discipline Lead, Power Systems Branch, NASA Johnson Space Center
- Which cell screening tests are most effective at detecting outlying cells?
- Which tests are most effective at detecting cells with latent defects that could lead to thermal runaway field failures?
TABLE 6: Battery Degradation and Safety
Anil Paryani, CEO, Automotive Power
- How can local non-uniformities in battery construction and mechanical stress lead to accelerated decay and safety concerns?
- What are the mechanisms that lead to the accelerated decay?
- What are methods of mitigating the effects in a real system?
Additional Roundtable Discussions to be Announced