2018 Archived Content

Battery Engineering for Automotive Applications

Building Better Batteries

June 4-5, 2018 | Del Coronado | San Diego, CA

The Engineering Symposium at the Advanced Automotive Battery Conference will bring together key thought-leaders to discuss important issues facing battery technologists today. As battery chemistries become increasingly powerful, battery engineering strategies must be optimized to ensure active materials are being used to the full potential. This symposium will encompass cell and pack engineering and how advances in these areas are not only building better batteries, but safer batteries as well. Key improvements in cell engineering, pack engineering, battery management systems, along with battery safety will be addressed.

Final Agenda

Monday, June 4

12:30 pm Symposia Registration (Ballroom Foyer)

SAFETY 
Coronet 

1:30 Chairperson’s Opening Remarks

Brian Barnett, PhD, Vice President, CAMX Power

1:35 Multiscale Battery Diagnostics for Improved Safety and Performance

Mohan Karulkar, PhD, Principal Staff Member, Power Sources R&D, Sandia National Laboratories

Sandia National Laboratories has implemented diagnostics across multiple time and resolution scales to identify safe and effective battery operating conditions. Methods like high precision cycling, advanced EIS, and differential coulometry will be linked to more traditional current/voltage/temperature measurements to assess applications like fast charge, cell abuse, and second use. The impact of charge rate, SOC window, and cell capacity on safety and performance will be discussed.

1:55 Abuse Testing to Understand High Energy Battery Failure

Joshua Lamb, PhD, Senior Member of the Technical Staff, Advanced Power Sources R&D, Sandia National Laboratories

The increasing energy and power demands from various applications drive the need for higher energy density batteries, which typically means an increased reliance on lithium-ion batteries. Because of this, complex and high energy density systems composed of lithium-ion cells are becoming more prevalent. This talk shows how Sandia National Laboratories uses abusive battery testing to better understand the potential risks surrounding high energy batteries.

2:15 A New Method for Safety Test of Internal Short Circuit

Yuya Ishihara, PhD, Assistant Manager, Battery Evaluation & Analysis, Toyota Motor Corporation

We propose a new method for safety testing of internal short circuit. It is a simple test for lithium-ion cells, using a metal nail.

2:35 Short Detection Technology for Battery Safety

Recent events have heightened awareness that internal short circuits are a major cause of Li-ion battery safety events. We have developed multiple, distinct, non-invasive and chemistry-agnostic technologies for sensitive early detection of internal shorts in Li-ion batteries before the shorts pose a thermal runaway threat. We are implementing short detection for several applications and will describe examples of its use and benefits.

2:55 Refreshment Break (Garden Patio)

3:15 Determining Electrode Tortuosity and Rate Limitations from Experiments and Modeling

Kandler Smith, PhD, Senior Engineer, Energy Storage, National Renewable Energy Laboratory

This talk will cover our estimation of graphite and NMC electrode tortuosity – a major factor inhibiting fast charge, for example – from several different methods: (1) direct measurement using symmetric cells, (2) electrochemical testing and fitting via macro-homogeneous models, and (3) predictive modeling via simulation at the 3D electrode microstructure level.

3:35 Advanced Battery Diagnosis and Prognosis Approaches for EV Transportation Applications

Tanvir Tanim, PhD, Engineer, Battery R&D, Idaho National Laboratory

It is inevitable that battery performance, durability, reliability and safety issues thus continue to escalate as great concerns among end-users, system integrators and battery manufacturers, and regulators. To successfully implement such practices needs an advanced battery diagnosis and prognosis approach. This presentation is intended to discuss this aspect and to explain what it would take to establish such diagnostic and prognostic capabilities currently undertaken at Idaho National Lab.

3:55 Battery Abuse Response: Alternative Characterization Methods and Considerations for Automotive Applications

Matt Denlinger, Battery Research Engineer, Ford Motor Company

As lithium-ion battery adoption in the automotive market continues to increase, understanding and characterizing the energetic response of batteries in abusive conditions remains an important consideration. This is especially true as both cell and pack energy density continue to increase. This presentation will review recent methods developed to characterize battery abuse response, and provide context for these reactions with specific considerations for automotive applications.

4:15 Efficient Simulation and Abuse Modeling of Mechanical-Electrochemical-Thermal Phenomena in Lithium-Ion Batteries

Ahmad A. Pesaran, PhD, Manager, Energy Storage Group, Transportation and Hydrogen System Center, National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL)

4:35 Q&A

5:00 Close of Day

Tuesday, June 5

8:30 am Morning Coffee (Garden Patio)

PACK ENGINEERING

9:00 Chairperson’s Remarks

9:05 Battery State-of-Health Estimation Using an IMM Kalman Filter and Physics-Based Reduced-Order Cell Models

Gregory Plett, PhD, Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs

Adapting physics-based model parameter values as battery cells age can result in unstable and physically nonmeaningful models. In this presentation, we propose an alternate approach that instead uses an IMM Kalman filter to select the model from a set of pre-computed pre-aged models that best matches the presently observed input/output dynamics of the battery cell under observation. Unlike other approaches, this method guarantees stable and physically meaningful models that track cell parameter values over the lifetime of the battery cell. Simulation results show excellent performance over a wide range of cell aging.

9:25 Model Prediction and Optimization: How to Accurately Estimate Power-Limits for Lithium Ion Batteries Using Physics-Based Models and Realistic Constraints

Scott Trimboli, PhD, Assistant Professor, College of Engineering & Applied Sciences, University of Colorado, Colorado Springs

Electric vehicle battery management systems must be able to determine, in real time, the power available that may be sourced by the battery pack. Similarly, in rechargeable packs, it is important to determine how much charge power the pack can accept. Such power limits are used to ensure the pack will not suffer damage by exceeding charge or voltage limits or by exceeding a design current or power limit. This paper describes a method that uses a physics-based dynamic cell model and predictive optimization to accurately compute battery-pack available power.

9:45 How Simulation Is Used to Design an xEV Battery Pack Cooling System

Gaetan Damblanc, Battery Solution Manager, CD Adapco

Physically developing and performing trials on new battery compositions and cooling strategies is an expensive and resource intensive process that only large funded organization and laboratories have the facilities to perform successfully. In this talk, we would like to address on how simulation would assist in minimizing the research, analysis, trials and experiments to analyze the behavior of battery systems where we need a strongly coupled resolution of flow, heat transfer and electrochemistry to provide the best possible prediction to maintain the integrity of the system and identifying potential problems at an early stage. In all, it is becoming more imperative to analyze packs and modules through simulation to capture the complexity of a pack and thermal management before a building physical system.

AEM10:05 Grand Opening Coffee Break in the Exhibit Hall with Poster Viewing (Ballroom)

11:00 High Power and Safe Li-metal Batteries Part II: The Forgotten Concept of Three-Phase Boundary

Slobodan Petrovic, PhD, Professor, XNRGI

The power loss in lithium batteries comes partially from poor electronic conduction and limited active surface area. A new electrode consisting of porous structure and silicon collector is used to enable effective and high-area three-phase boundary between active mass, electrolyte and electronic conductor. (co-author Juergen Garche).

11:20 Humidity Control – preventing water ingress and condensation in HV Battery Systems

Michael Harenbrock, Business Development Manager, Mann+Hummel GmbH

- HV Battery Systems require pressure balancing to avoid deformations of the housing caused by pressure differences between environment and Battery System interior As water ingress can lead to fatal battery damages, tailoring of semi-permeable venting devices using advanced membrane technology is required Water condensation can occur if the Dew Point of the air inside the Battery System is reached, e.g. on cooling surfaces or Battery System housing when temperature drops at night, especially in hot and humid climates Water vapor adsorption inside the Battery System prevents condensation

11:40 Power Pack Unit for Low Voltage Mild Hybrid

Oliver Gross, Technical Fellow, Energy Storage Systems, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles

Low voltage (48V) mild hybrid powertrains enable appreciable fuel efficiency benefits for an economical cost. The FCA Belt-Starter-Generator (BSG) powertrain utilizes a Power Pack Unit (PPU), containing a fully integrated battery and DC/DC converter system, for further system optimization. Variations of the PPU have been developed, in order to meet differing use cases and applications, requiring different thermal solutions and integration methods. This presentation will discuss two embodiments of the PPU concept.

12:00 pm Multifunctional Energy Storage Composites: Structurally-Integrated Batteries for Lightweight Automotive Applications

Anthony Bombik, Aeronautics and Astronautics, Stanford University

The talk covers the recent development of the Multifunctional Energy Storage MESC - a multifunctional structural battery which embeds active Li-ion battery materials into high-strength composites together with in situ networks of sensors and actuators. The MESC not only can supply electrical power but also serve as a structural element, capable of concurrently carrying mechanical loads. In addition, the built-in sensor/actuator networks can monitor the health state of both the composite structure as well as the battery on a real-time on-demand basis.

12:20 Q&A

USABC12:40 Networking Lunch (Garden Patio)

1:35 Dessert Break in the Exhibit Hall with Poster Viewing (Sponsorship Opportunity Available) (Ballroom)

CELL ENGINEERING

2:35 Chairperson’s Remarks

Mark Verbrugge, PhD, Director, Chemical and Materials Systems Laboratory, General Motors

2:40 Progress and Challenges for the Li-Si System, and a Voltage-Hysteresis Model

After recapping recent work on the lithium-silicon (Li-Si) system and the motivation for pursuing Li-Si negative electrodes, we present a model-experiment comparison for the hysteretic behavior observed when using Li-Si electrodes. The model is useful for the simulation of Li-Si based batteries, assisting in battery design and integration endeavors. In addition, for accurate battery state estimation, including electrodes containing both graphite and silicon constituents, a voltage hysteresis model must be employed.

3:00 Driving Design Factors for Safe, High Power Batteries for Applications

Eric Darcy, PhD, Battery Technical Discipline Lead, Propulsion and Power Division, NASA-JSC/EP5

3:20 Rapid Charging Made Practical in Lithium Batteries via Integrated Surface Acoustic Wave Turbulent Electrolyte Mixing to Overcome Diffusion-Limited Charging

James Friend, PhD, Professor, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of California, San Diego

We aim to overcome diffusion limitations in charging liquid electrolyte lithium ion batteries through inclusion of robust, fingernail-sized, and solid-state ~100-MHz surface acoustic wave microdevices that produce turbulent acoustic streaming even through separator structures.These low-power (~10 mW of power per 1 cm^2 of electrode area) devices are fabricated from single crystal lithium niobate, and are compatible with lithium electrochemistry.These same devices also serve as a means to detect morphological changes within the battery, providing a real-time determination of battery status and a significant improvement in safety.

3:40 Q&A

Johnson Controls4:00 Networking Reception in the Exhibit Hall with Poster Viewing (Ballroom)

5:00 Close of Symposium

Symposia
Conferences

Related In-Person Event

Solid-State Battery Summit

Related Virtual Events

Free Podcast - Download Now